Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Diagnosis

April 17th, 2008 Kim called for a family meeting. Now our family is close, but I don't recall ever having to have a family meeting before. Kim told us all that Becki received some blood results back and they wanted to discuss it with the family. Needless to say, none of us focused well the rest of the day. What could possibly be wrong?

We all gathered in the living room and awaited the news. Becki went on to tell us that her latest tests had many red flags and signs pointing toward multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cells in the bone marrow. ( The doctors were not 100% sure, but she had many of the symptoms. None of us would have ever thought that something so awful was going on inside of her; she looked so beautiful and healthy. She then told us that they were going to run a few more tests that should let the doctors know for sure. All of this must have been terrifying for Becki, but she was so strong and upbeat. She told us that she put her will in the Lord's hands a long time ago, and if this was her time, it was her time. (Not that she wasn't going to fight!) We were all so upset by the news that we had heard, but it was hard to even be sad around her because she had such a positive attitude.
Throughout all of this, the point was made very clear that this was something we would all do and fight together. Everyone would have a say and we would make ALL decisions as a family. How blessed we are to have the family we do. M. Russell Ballard said, "Nothing is more critically connected to our happiness- both our own and that of our children- than how well we love and support one another within the family."

That next week felt like one of the longest weeks ever as we waited to hear the results. The day finally came and we found out that she did in fact have the horrid cancer. The next step was taking it up with the Lord. Becki received a priesthood blessing and then we had a fast to ask the Lord what our next move should be.

We all felt impressed to try some alternative treatment from a doctor, Dr. Calzada, that Kim and Becki had both been to years ago to do some health maintanence. (His office is just over the California border in Tijuana). They contacted his office, but he was out of the country until the beginning of June, so they made an appointment for the first week in June. In the meantime, we spent a lot of time on our knees.

This was a really hard time for our family. I think we all tend to freak out a little more than necessary before we fully understand and get a grasp on things. It just seemed like too much information to process all at once. Becki wanted family pictures done immediately because first of all, she was worried about having hair by the time we got around to taking them, and second, Shellie was leaving for Alaska for the summer. We only had four days to find a photographer and get the pictures taken. Brooke found a sweet girl who had taken her boss' family photos and was so kind to work with us with such short notice.

No comments: